Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 12: What strategies do you use to keep up with grading?

I've not been teaching long (5 years), but I am on my second subject (moved from Science to Careers) and I've learned a lot about grading and how to grade and WHAT to grade in this time.

Here are my 'rules' for grading...

1.  Before you start, what is it that you're grading?  What skill/objective are you looking for? Just grade for that.
2.  Don't let it pile up.  Structure your due dates so that you don't have three hefty assignments coming in at once.  And in my classroom, I have suggested due dates, but I really take work at any time (and I have students re-do work all the time), so you want to stay on top of that.  Plus, I want to get it back to the student as soon as I can, so they can redo anything they need to.
3.  Because I allow re-dos, I grade in different color ink, so that I can keep track of what 'version' I am on with the student.
4.  If I'm giving feedback on a new skill or concept, I don't put a score on the assignment.  I used to do both and I found that students only focus on the score, ignore the feedback and ask questions that the feedback would have answered had they read it.
5.  Give only meaningful assignments, so you're not wasting your time grading fluff.
6.  Find different ways to assess skills/concepts, so you're not just grading paper.  Pull small groups or individuals and discuss/answer/question.

I'd love your comments, feedback and any other suggestions you have on grading!  I learn each year as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment