Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 8: How do you connect with your students?

I finally decided to skip Day 7...and move on to Day 8.  I will eventually answer Day 7's question, but for right now it's kicking my butt and I need to spend (all summer) more time thinking about it.

So, how do I connect with my students?  SENSE OF HUMOR!

I teach 8th grade.  If you know anything about 8th graders is that they know everything and adults know nothing.  As a parent, there is nothing more frustrating...as a teacher, there is nothing more FUN!  The reality of the situation is...8th graders want to give the impression that they know everything, but their dirty little secret is (and they fully know it) is that they are scared and insecure as all get out.

So to connect with these drama queens and kings takes a bit of sarcasm, a whole lot of laughter, a ton of love and a willingness to put yourself out there and look stupid a time or two.  And that is what I do.  I sing, cheer, dance, tell a joke or two - just to get a point across in class, or move them along in the hallway.  Whatever it takes.

Additionally to the above, I try very hard to get to know these kids outside of their school persona.  I want to know what their interests are, what they are involved in and how they operate outside of my classroom.  I also try to let them see that about me as well.  I am very fortunate that I also live in the community that I teach.  I go to church with many of my students.  I play piano and cantor for Mass - it's very interesting the reaction that I get from students (and parents) when they see me in a completely different area of life. 

We are who we teach!

Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment