Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 22: What did you encounter in your career which you did not expect?

Apparently, I thought there was a tattoo on my forehead that said, "WARNING: New Teacher" when I started my teaching career six years ago - or at least that's was the image of myself and what I based my initial expectations on.  These expectations were based on how I THOUGHT I would be treated by my experienced colleagues, administration and parents - and somehow ended up being very different that what actually transpired.

I did not expect that I would be treated as someone who was knowledgable, but my colleagues sought me out for opinions and review on communication, curriculum, student achievement and organization.

I did not expect that parents would respect me as their child's teacher and take me seriously - and yet they did.

I did expect my administration to micro-manage me and tell me how to teach my classes.  However, I was treated as an adult who could make decisions about how the learning needed to happen for each student...and I was supported.

I am very grateful that I started my career working with people who did NOT meet my expectations - they exceeded them.  This was completely unexpected.

How are you exceeding expectations in your career?

Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment