Monday, March 28, 2011

Grief is the Word...

Grief is an interesting thing.  It affects me in different ways at different times, so I am never prepared for it or my reaction.  I wonder how many more types of grief or the many reactions I may have...

Waves.  Sometimes grief hits me in waves - I literally can feel it roll over my body, just like being in the ocean when a wave of water comes over you, and I become very sad and scared - almost like being homesick when I was young.

Rollercoaster.  It's the only way to describe the ebb and flow of feelings that I get when this type of grief hits me.  I'm ecstatically happy and then my emotions drop so suddenly almost to a deep sadness or depression.  Typically, I will be very social or excitable with someone and then I will turn around and snap at the same person, then the emotions level out again.

Controlling.  The grief doesn't control me, but somehow I need to control things in order for the grief not to control me.  Here's an example:  When we got home Sunday, I went into a cleaning frenzy.  My husband kept telling me to sit down and rest, but I just couldn't.  I had to keep cleaning.  Finally, he came up to hug me and just held me.  He asked me to please sit down and stop it.  I responded that I clean because it's one thing I can control.  I haven't been able to control my many other circumstances lately.

Overwhelmed.  This type of grief hit me a lot during the visitation and funeral service.  It was always brought on by someone who came to the event that I was not expecting - and it was overwhelming.  And so much so, that I would break down and sob.  It may have been an old friend, or someone who traveled from the Des Moines area - like a best friend or someone from school or my church. 

The experiences are so new, so unexpected that for a brief moment, I think that I must be going crazy.  Then I realize that I'm not alone - I'm not the only one to experience grief; I'm not the only one who has lost a father...and then somehow in those thoughts...I am comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment