Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Proverbial Question...

Today, the proverbial question is... would you rather die suddenly (like a car accident, heart attack, etc.) or would you rather die lengthy (like an illness)?

Prior to experiencing my dad's illness and death, I would have found pros and cons for either side and would not have been able to give you an answer either way.  (By the way, I'm notorious for that...)

After experiencing my dad's illness and death, I've made up my mind.

And I choose lengthy.  And here's why...

Death is usually scary for many of us and we fear it.  As we grow older, we know that death is a part of life and regardless of our faith and spirituality, we know we will die and what comes after we cross from life to death...well, that's up to you and how you live your life.  (but that's another post...for another time.)

If you are taken suddenly...I agree that it is easier on the person who dies.  It's quick, you don't suffer, etc.  But for those left behind...death becomes the enemy, death is hated.  Death has taken our loved one and we most likely don't get to say good-bye.  And as humans, I don't believe we really like it when something is done TO us.  Well, at least I don't.

But if you are taken lengthy...it most definitely is hard and painful.  The person dying suffers, we suffer, everyone suffers.  But now Death becomes like a friend, it is welcomed, we pray for it, we hope for it...it is in dying that the person no longer suffers...and those left behind, we get to say our good-byes.  Death becomes something FOR us.

And yes, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment