Thursday, March 17, 2011

Have you kissed a Hospice Nurse lately?

I am amazed by everyone who works with, for or along side of Hospice.  In fact, whoever thought up the concept of Hospice is GENIUS.

Especially the nurses.  This is a job I could NOT do.

They have to deal with people dying and their dysfunctional families (spouses, daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, parents, etc.).  They have to deal with denial, tears, anger, denial, more denial and even more denial.  (We're dealing with a bit of denial...)

They massage and clean and change and powder and lotion and wipe and clothe.

Oh, and the smell.

I mean really, when a person is dying they smell.  Ok, I said it.  I mean really, they get sponge baths, but the teeth aren't getting flossed or brushed and usually (ok, most likely) the patient has to be diapered.  Yes, you can go there.  I'll deal with the dignity issue in another post...

The nurses deal with it - every day with multiple patients.  They are CARING and gentle and treat the patient so kind and their caring is a labor of love.  And boy, are they efficient - no move or action is wasted.  Often they are dealing with patients who are in constant pain.

So thank you Melissa, Kim, Annette, Jodie and Tracy (and anyone else I may have forgotten that takes care of my Dad in this process).  You all have secured a place in Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that the truth? They're amazing. We were fortunate to have some of the same caregivers with Grandma as we had with Grandpa; they became a part of our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,

    I really can't imagine what you are going through. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    You need to let those feeling out its good for you and your family to not hold them in.

    Amongst the anger, fear, sadness, don't forget the happy times, special memories, the looks, the special times they need to be shared too.

    Love, Hugs and kisses to you and all of your family.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete